M·A·C Heroine Lipstick is now available for order online, and will be apart of the permanent collection starting January at M·A·C counters and freestanding stores. If you have coveted this lipstick, missed its two previous releases, then fear not…it’s back for GOOD!!!! The makeup gawds have heard our cries!!!! To order your Heroine, click here.
M·A·C Heroine Lipstick is back….get yours online NOW, in stores in January.
on November 27, 2013 | 1 Comment
| Add a comment
It’s that time of year that sends this PJ into a frenzy….Black Friday and Cyber Monday!!!!
*tosses glitter and confetti*
I can’t lie, I’m a year round shopper, but something about the massive discounts, just sends me over the ledge. I go HARD in the paint this time of year, as do the rest of the PJs. So in an effort to share the shopping “wealth” and the savings, here is our Black Friday and Cyber Monday sale round up. This post will be updated frequently over the coming days, so check back frequently for all the steals and deals!!!! Should you know if a deal that we’re missing, please leave us the heads up in the comments and we will update accordingly!
Natural Hair Sales
Over on Confessions of a Blog Vixen, WestNDNbeauty has an extensive list of all sales for natural hair vendors for Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Rather than reinvent the wheel, we are linking to her awesome, detailed post! But, as always, the PJs have partnered with some of our favorite vendors to offer our fans several EXCLUSIVE and limited edition items highlighted below:
Platinum PJs has teamed up with Rashida to bring you all an exclusive, limited edition hair syrup *knock me over with a feather*. Here are the deets:
Apple & Sorghum supple hair syrup. A conditioning hair oil used as either a pre or post shampoo oil rinse or as a moderate oil leave-in for more coarser hair types.
Ingredients: Castor Oil, Sesame Seed Oil, Virgin Hemp Seed Oil, Virgin Olive Fruit Oil, Mango Butter, Behentrimonium Methosulfate (and) Cetearyl Alcohol, Natural Apple Fruit Extract, Premium Sorghum Syrup, Fragrance Oil, Vitamin E.
Platinum PJs has teamed up with Laquita at BoBeam Naturals to bring you all an EXCLUSIVE shampoo bar. We can’t give you the details just yet, but this will be a 5.8oz moisturizing shampoo bar that will cleanse and nourish your hair. Click here for a sneak peek JUST for PPJ fans!
A portion of the proceeds from the limited edition items created by B.A.S.K Beauty and BoBeam Naturals will benefit the Foundation for Women’s Cancer. The Foundation for Women’s Cancer is a 501 (c) (3) not for profit organization dedicated to funding research and training, and ensuring education and public awareness of gynecologic cancer prevention, early detection and optimal treatment.
Platinum PJ has partnered with NJoi Creations and she has created this yummy Holiday treat…A Limited Edition BLACK FRIDAY Chocolate Lipbalm. NJoi’s lipbalm is handmade from scratch in small batches to preserve freshness…using shea, mango and cocoa butters, a drop of honey,real chocolate, glycerin,candellia wax, rice bran oil, coconut oil.
Platinum PJs has teamed up with Soultanicals to bring you two…that’s right TWO limited edition, exclusive hair products. The Plait’num PJ Gift Set! Set Includes (1) 4 oz Plait’num Roots Scalp Oil and (1) 4 oz Plait’num Roots Scalp Butta!
Plait’num Roots Scalp Oil: Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Jojoba Oil, Hempseed Oil, Murumuru butter, Carrot Seed Oil, Sapote Oil, Jamaican Black Castor Oil, Blends of Essential Oils, Drizzled with an extra slip of LOVE!
Plait’num Roots Scalp Butta: Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Jojoba Oil, Hempseed Oil, Murumuru butter, Candelilla Wax, Carrot Seed Oil, Sapote Oil, Jamaican Black Castor Oil, Blends of Essential Oils, Drizzled with an extra slip of LOVE!
Beauty (Makeup and Skincare) Sales
For all you budget beauty lovers, you must check out our favorite blogger Nouveau Cheap and her drugstore Black Friday Sale Roundup post. She’s done all the detective work on all the sales at the major retailers (CVS, Riteaid, Walgreens, Target, Ulta, etc). So head on over and show her some love!
Here are the online beaut sales that have caught the Platinum PJ’s eyes…..don’t forget to use ebates to maximize your savings!!! We’ve added all the cash back savings to each listing so you can maximize your savings!!!!
20%off site wide
Complimentary shipping w/ any $50 purchase
Now until Dec 2
50% off entire site
Free Shipping w/ $50 purchase
No code necessary
Now until Dec 2
20% off all orders
Now until Dec 1
40% off purchase
No code required.
Midnight Nov 27 thru Nov 29
20% off $75 purchase
No code needed
Now thru Dec 5
Ebates cash back: 4%
Friends and Family Event
30%off your entire order
Now until Dec 2
Ebates cash back: 6%
Limited Edition Black Friday Lipstick Release
“Hautecore” (matte black lipstick) $15, online only
Available Midnight Black Friday morning until supplies last
#Giftopia…several $10 gift items that retail for MUCH more!!!
Black Friday ONLY
No codes, quantities limited.
Available online and in stores.
Here is a link to the deals.
Ebates cash back: 8%
on September 13, 2013 | 4 Comments
| Add a comment
Just wanted to stop by and share this quick FOTD featuring Wet and Wild Fergie’s “Bebot Love” lipstick. I’m in a few makeup groups on facebook and a lot of women have been inquiring about nude lips for darker skintones. This past few weeks, I’ve had a tone of presentations and meetings at work and on those days, I tend to reach for a more neutral toned lipstick. Even though I’m a bold lip girl through and through, when I’m doing a lot of public speaking, I like something a bit softer because I want people to focus on what I am SAYING and not my fantastic shade of lipstick.
So, here I am today wearing “Bebot Love”.
Here’s what else I’m wearing today:
Foundation: Covergirl Queen 3n1 color 850 (review coming soon!!!!)
Eyes: MAC eyeshadows in ricepaper (highlight), Handwritten (crease), Expensive pink (lid), Espresso (outer v)
Mascara: MAC False Lashes Waterproof
Cheeks: Wet and Wild Fergie to Reflect Shimmer Bronzer in “Carnival in Rio’ (also used to highlight forehead, nose, chin), MAC Raisin
This lipstick retails for $3.49 at Walgreens, CVS, and RiteAid; but this week (through Saturday 9/14) all Wet and Wild products are B1G1 1/2 off at CVS and RiteAid, and $1 off retail price at Walgreens. If you are in the market for a great inexpensive nude lipstick that complements darker skin tones, I HIGHLY recommend this color.
Yes…you read that correct. ELF Cosmetics is at it again with another of their fabulous promotions. Head on over to elf cosmetics , add $45 worth of products to your cart, and use the code shown below, to save $20 off your purchase, now through September 16, 2013.
If you are a lover of the Elf studio brushes like I am, now is a great time to stock up! ELF Cosmetics are a great budget friendly line and most of the products retail for $3 and below, so $45 worth of products is a LOT of stuff. It’s hauling time ya’ll!!!! Remember, this is also a good time to try a few new items without much of an initial investment, which makes it easier when things don’t work out IMO.
If you’re looking for suggestions on things to pickup, I HIGHLY recommend the following items:
- ELF Studio Small Stippling Brush
- ELF Studio Powder Brush
- ELF Studio Small Tapered Brush(applies cheek contor powder/cremes to perfection)
- ELF Studio Flawless Concealer Brush
- ELF Studio Lip Exfoliator
- ELF Studio HD Blush
- ELF Essential Zip Zapper (a must for when you have a zit that pops up out of NO WHERE)
- ELF Essential Custom Compact (This fits MAC refill shadow pans!!! Great for traveling and on the go)
As with all things, review the fine print for any exclusions. See anything you plan to grab during this promotion? Let me know in the comments below!
on September 10, 2013 | 2 Comments
| Add a comment
Ladies, I know it’s been quite a while and I sincerely apologize. The PJs have been busy little bees at work and home and we have neglected you all. Please understand that this blog and community while important to us all, is not our “bread and butter” and at times may ebb a bit. It’s certainly not intentional and we hope you all understand and will bare with us as we get new schedules for work, school, and kids on deck. To tide you all over, I wanted to come and share with you all a quick photo of one of MAC’s newest lipsticks, “Flat Out Fabulous”.
This lipstick is part of the new retro matte collection which hits stores Thursday, September 12! MAC’s retro matte collection consists of seven new lipsticks which feature of course, the retro matte formula. I’m not going to review the formula because it appears to be a ton of folks that have already done that but I wanted to show you all a picture of me wearing the color as a reference for all my darker skinned ladies.
Flat out fabulous is described as a “bright plum matte”. It looks more of a purple/blue toned pink on me and my pigmented lips. It has a flat, matte finish.
I was hoping that this would have more of a purple tone to it, so I’m slightly disappointed. I do like the color and it’s a great summer to fall transition color so all is not lost. I picked up two other colors from this collection, “Relentless Red” and “All Fired Up”. I will do my best to give you all swatches of them so you can have an idea of the colors before you purchase. There appears to be some controversy surrounding this collection and the availability/permanent status of it. Initially I read that it was supposed to be permanent, now I’m hearing that only a few of the colors are permanent. I’m not completely sure, so if there are any colors that you know you want, I would suggest getting them now. I initially planned to “back2mac” for this collection but decided to get the three I really wanted now, just in case it is in fact limited edition. I plan hit Nordstrom to get “Fixed on Drama” and “Dangerous” the other two items I wanted from this collection.
Any plans to pick anything up from this collection? Share your thoughts and comments with me below.
Covergirl Outlast 3n1 Foundation in Soft Sable
Over the past year or so, I’ve noticed a MAJOR shift in the makeup world. The product offerings available in the drugstore price range have drastically improved. Products have better formulations, last longer, have more pigmentation and just generally are better than they used to be. In some instances, the drugstore products are just as good as or BETTER than their more expensive counterparts.
The drugstore foundation game is no different; as a matter of fact it has gotten vicious! Companies are FINALLY starting to formulate foundations that include shades suitable for WOC that are of a darker hue. I mean never in my wildest dreams would I think I would be able to find a good color match in a drugstore foundation, have it last on my oil slick skin, and not break me out. Not only I have found a foundation that meets these requirements, it blows them out of the water and exceeds my expectations. Let me introduce you all to Covergirl Outlast© Stay Fabulous™ 3n1 Foundation.
Note: This review is for the 3n1 foundation in the REGULAR Covergirl Line. I am working on finding the 3n1 Queen version of this foundation in my shade and will update soon!
From the website: All-in-one foundation with a long-lasting formula that fuses primer, concealer, and foundation in one easy step! The 3-in-1 formula provides a flawless look that lasts all day long.
Active: Ensulizole 3.0%.
Inactive: Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Propylene Glycol, Talc, Dimethicone, Aluminum Starch, Octenylsuccinate, Sodium Chloride, PEG/PPG-18, Pvp, Benzyl Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Hydroxide, Ethylene, Copolymer, Trihydroxystearin, Arachidyl Behenate, Methicone, Silica, Synthetic Wax, Sodium Benzoate, Hexyl Laurate, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate, Ethylene Brassylate, Behenic Acid, Polyethylene, Iron Oxides, Titanium Dioxide.
Size: 30ml (1 fl oz)
Price: varies, between $10-$13
Availability: Ulta, RiteAid, Wal-mart, Drugstore.com, and select major drugstores and supermarkets
Packaging: This foundation comes in a glass bottle with a pump, which is pretty awesome for a drugstore foundation because many companies skip this! Foundation bottles without a pump are a pet peeve of mine…the slight germaphobe in me worries about contaminating my bottle of foundation from constantly opening it and pouring it out, so this a big deal to me. The pump is lockable to prevent mishaps and comes with a clear cover.
Shade Range: The Covergirl 3n1 foundation from the regular line contains 13 shades, though I would say that only 2 of them are suitable for WOC that are of medium to medium dark skin tones. I happen to wear the darkest shade available (875 soft sable) and I am an NC50 (NW45 summer) in MAC shade range. I would say that if you are darker than NW45/47 then you will not find a shade match in the regular range. The good news though, is that 875 Soft Sable is the equivalent of 850 Sheer Espresso in the Queen line and there are several shades that are darker in the queen line with varying undertones.
Consistency/Application: This foundation is on the thicker side of liquid foundations, but once applied feels very light on the skin. I’d say that this is a medium to full coverage buildable foundation. I tend to apply it very lightly and sheer for medium coverage, but you can most certainly apply this as a full coverage foundation. What I like about this is that the claims of not needing concealer are true, even when applied as a medium coverage foundation. My skin is pretty clear and I only have a few areas of mild hyperpigmentation and this covers it easily without the need for concealer. If you have moderate to sever hyperpigmentation, you might still need concealer, but I can almost guarantee that you won’t need anywhere near the amount that you usually used.
I have applied this foundation with a brush (real techniques expert face brush) and a beauty blender and both ways yield excellent results. Appling with a blender makes the coverage more medium while using the brush yields a closer to full cover application. Once applied, the foundation dries down to a MATTE finish. Often times, I don’t bother to set this with a powder because I HATE that powdery “casket sharp” too matte look, so I opt to use a few sprays of fix plus or urban decay setting spray. If you have dry skin, this is NOT the foundation for you. If you are combination/oily, I’d suggest that you pay attention to the drier areas of your face and make sure u moisturize well because this foundation will dry out those areas.
Performance: I’ve been wearing this foundation consistently over the past 2-3 weeks, even during the recent heat wave where the heat index reached 108 degrees here in DC and this foundation has held up BEAUTIFULLY. I have consistently gotten 8-9 hours of wear time with minimal blotting required after 4-5 hours. This is foundation is an oily girls DREAM! I usually apply around 6:30-7am before work and by the time I arrive home or at the gym around 6, it’s still going strong with only minor signs of fading.
Overall Impressions: For daily wear, I think this foundation is the bee’s knees, but because of the iron oxides and titanium dioxide it contains as SPF, it might not photograph well so I wouldn’t wear this when I know I’m going to be in lots of pictures. For the price, I think this is a foundation that meets the needs of a wide array of people. I’m really impressed and I’ve already got a second bottle ready to go for when I’m finished with this bottle.
Here are a few pictures of this foundation in action! Please note these pictures are taken in natural light, after 8 hours of wear!!! And as always, no filters or editing software was used.
Cleansing oils can be a very natural way to cleanse, nourish, and pamper your skin; but many of the cleansing oils on the market are full of cheap filler oils and are WAY over priced for the ingredients they contain. I maybe a PJ, but I’m also a budget beauty lover so dropping $28 for 7oz of cleansing oil just wasn’t on my list of things to do. Especially if the first two ingredients are mineral oil and safflower oil! So I decided to put this Chemistry degree to use and reverse engineer myself a cleansing oil that meets MY specific skincare needs.
The way a cleansing oil works is based on the common principle of “like attracts like”. The oil in the skin attaches to the oil in the cleanser, and then you rinse both of them off, resulting in gentle yet effective deep-pore cleansing. Oil cleansers also bind to makeup and other daily dirt and grime — and flush that away completely, too. Your skin is left clean, but not parched. I wanted a cleansing oil that will remove makeup, rinses clean, and doesn’t aggravate my oily acne prone skin. It’s interesting because as many of you know, when you are oily, adding more oil to your face seems strange and foreign. However, using an cleansing oil to remove dirt and makeup is exactly what many oily people do. It prevents over stripping your skin and over time helps regulate the oil production of the skin and your skin produce LESS oil long term.
After looking at the ingredients of a few popular cleansing oils on the market, it was quite easy to see that most of them contained 4-5 main ingredients…oils, an emulsifier, various extracts, fragrance (some) and preservatives (most). I decided that my cleansing oil would not contain preservatives, mainly because oils (as long as no water is introduced) do not NEED preservatives. I decided to skip the preservatives and prevent introduction of water by putting the finished product in a pump bottle. Originally I decided to skip any fragrances because I’m not scent sensitive, but later I decided to add in tea tree oil which adds a bit of fragrance as well as medicinal properties to the final mix. So that leaves the bulk of my cleansing oil mix as the actual oils and an emulsifier.
I did a lot of research into which natural oils were good for acne or oily skin. I determined that I wanted my mix to contain castor oil, jojoba oil, hemp oil, and neem oil. I am including castor oil because it has potent anti-inflammatory properties, but is also healing and cleansing to the skin. Jojoba oil because it is most similar to the oils that the skin naturally produces. Hemp oil has anti-inflammatory properties, helps clean and detoxify your skin, and because of its rich in omega 3, 6, and 9 oils it also evens out your skin tone. Finally neem oil is ideal for acne-prone skin because it can help to soothe irritation and inflammation, clear up pimples and remove bacteria from the surface of the skin that can cause more break-outs.
Now that I knew which oils I wanted to use, the last step was the emulsifier and then figuring out the ratios of oils for the mixture. I knew I needed an emulsifier that when water was added to the cleansing oil on my face, it would completely emulsify the oils with the water and ensure removal of all traces of the oils from my face. I decided to use polysorbate 80 because it works better with heavier oils such as castor and neem. If you are unable to find polysorbate 80, polysorabate 20 would work as well, but my suggestion would be to increase the amount in your final mix. As for the ratio of the final mix, at least 20% (1/5) needs to be the emulsifier, the rest oils. So to keep the math simple, I make my cleansing oil in 10 oz batches; of which at least 2 oz is emulsifier. I decided that I wanted at least 1/2 my mix to be castor oil, and 1/5 of it neem. The rest is divided between the jojoba and hemp oil.
So here is the final cleansing oil mix
- 4oz castor oil
- 2oz neem oil
- 1oz hemp oil
- 1oz jojoba oil
- 2oz polysorbate 80 (if you can only find polysorbate 20, increase to 3oz)
- Tea Tree Oil (about 60 drops)
Directions: Measure everything with a measuring cup, mix to incorporate all ingredients, and pour into a pump bottle. To use, take 2-3 pumps to apply to DRY skin (The neem oil may tend to settle out, so shake well before use). Massage well to loosen and dissolve makeup, dirt, and grime. Rinse with water and voila. Clean makeup free skin that’s not tight!
I appreciate your feedback and comments, so if you decide to try this DIY project, please let me know your thoughts and results in the comment section below!
Serpentina is one of my favorite lipsticks and I think, one of the best made by Lime Crime.
If you don’t know Doe Deere and her Lime Crime brand, check it out here. Lime Crime has one of the best quality, highly pigmented formulas out right now. The lipsticks in particular, are super pigmented, yet non-drying. The latter is harder to find than you’d think, but when you do it’s a lippy you’ll reach for time and time again because its maintenance over the course of the day requires much less work.
Anyway, Serpentina is a green lipstick– a dark, poison ivy, or even a vampy green that has a slight silver edge. In one swipe you get instant color and it’s absolutely true to what you see in the container. Here, I decided to amp up the silver edge by patting some silver eyeshadow on top.
Serpentina, by Lime Crime with silver eyeshadow on top
For fun, I blended Serpentina into the crease over a silvery gray eyeshadow for a green vampy look.
The color of this lipstick makes it wearable across all skin tones and particularly complimentary to dark skin tones. It’s easy being green– in Serpentina!
It’s a seasonal shade set to return October 1st, so keep your eyes and ears open for updates from us.
Do you own this lipstick? If not, would you try it? Leave a comment below. We’d love to hear from you!
- Juice Beauty Reflecting lipgloss in Pink- I received this in one of my beauty bags this month and it’s been glued to my side ever since. The moisture and shine from this gloss made it a pleasure to wear. I was also thankful that it didnt leave a residue as some lip products do after being on for a while. The citrus scent was also a plus.
- TheBalm Instain Blush in Toile – This gives a nice flush to my cheeks for my “no makeup, makeup” looks. I’m working on a review right now, so I won’t completely give it away–but longwearing MEANS LONGwearing!! (Nuff said).
- Jesse’s Girl Cosmetics /Julie G Gumdrop nail polish in Crushed Candy-If I could eat my fingers I would because they look like candy! This polish is super cute, super pink and I was loathe to remove it! It’s one that I kept reaching for time and time again.
- Sake fragrance mist, by Fresh- This light, clean and crisp scent garnered tons of compliments! There’s not much else to say about this one other than you need to check it out at Sephora and take a whiff. It’s a keeper!
- Dior Diorshow New Look mascara- We joke at PlatinumPJ about having anemic lashes, and I think mine may be the worst of them all, but this mascara came to my rescue! It plumped, defined and lengthened my lashes. I really like the brush it comes with that makes it easier to get the lashes in my inner corner.
- CoverFX cream foundation in N110 as a concealer : This stuff has stolen my heart!! It’s super creamy, blendable and doesn’t settle into lines or cake. It works with all of my setting powders which is a plus because not all makeup works well together. The coverage of course, is excellent and so close to my skin that even I’m fooled and forget I have it on.
- Herbal Essences Conditioner in Unbreakable Seduction: This is a trusty rinseout and detangling conditioner. It has just enough moisture and protein in it to keep my hair well balanced, and tons of slip to make detangling a breeze
FTC Disclosure: These products were purchased by me and this is not a paid endorsement. The views expressed here are my own.
So, what were your favorites this month? Have you tried any of the products here? Tell us!
March has come “in like a lion and out like a lamb” and it’s now April and spring is officially here…at least that’s what my calendar says even if the weather man doesn’t agree. The temps in March here in DC have been up and down…nice warm balmy 60 degrees one day and a freak snow storm the next. With such weather fluctuations, it can be difficult to find products that work in both weather extremes. Here is a quick look back and round up of some of my favorite products from March.
- C. Booth 4-in-1 Multi-Action Body Lotion: This lotion works equally well in warm and cooler weather by delivering great moisture without leaving you greasy. It also has AHA which helps sloth off dry scaly skin to leave your skin soft and even toned. Check out my more in-depth review of this product here.
- Philosophy “The Present” Clear Makeup: Philosophy calls this clear makeup but it’s really a primer…and a darn good one to boot! Nefertiti and I like to call this “makeup glue” because whatever makeup you apply sticks to it and lasts ALL DAY. It’s great when the weather is cooler because it locks in moisture from your moisturizer, but when the weather warms up; it keeps your makeup in place and prevents the “melt down”. I’ve been using this daily for the past few weeks after taking a break from it to test and try other things and I couldn’t be happier to have it back in rotation!
- Ulta Super Blending Sponge: I never really got the hype over the beauty blender…I always thought it was just an overpriced sponge and surly my makeup brushes provided just as good application or better. While pursuing Ulta one day, I decided to try this “generic” version and now I FINALLY get it! I have been using this sponge daily for a few weeks and my foundation has gone on sooo smooth and flawless. The real selling point for me is that I get coverage without that “heavy” feeling that some foundations can leave. This blends out the tiniest amount of foundation perfectly and my skin looks like skin and not “foundation on top of skin”. LOVE this thing and I’m going to pick up a few more!!!
- Hairveda Almond Glaze: I haven’t been doing much lately with my hair other than twists and puffs. My hair has grown out of its pixie cut and I’m on the fence about cutting it short again, letting it grow, or locing so I’m just letting it be for now until I decide. After washing and conditioning, I apply my leave in de jour and seal in the moisture with this. I LOVE that it’s all natural yet shields my hair from the temperature fluctuations. It leaves my hair soft and shiny without being too greasy (unless you over apply). I can apply it directly to my scalp in areas where it gets tight and dry or I can apply it to the ends to keep them from drying out. My jar is almost out so I’ll be picking up 1-2 more to add to my stash!
- Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Moisturizer SPF 15: If you know me from Curl Talk or any of the natural hair forums, then you know I’m a HUGE fan of Kiehl’s products, especially their facial moisturizers. I have extremely oily acne prone skin and it can be difficult to find a product that adds the perfect amount of moisture without causing a breakout. I have found that Kiehl’s products perform exceptionally well for my skin in this regard. As the days have started getting longer, I wanted to add in a lighter SPF to my routine (I use SPF 50 in the summertime). This product provided enough moisture on those bitter cold days, without being too heavy for the nice balmy days we’ve had in March. An added bonus is that the SPF doesn’t leave that dreaded white ashy cast to my dark skin. I’m not sure if I could use this in the summer as it might be TOO heavy once the humidity sets in, but for late winter/early spring usage I have found this to be a winner.
What products have you incorporated into your routine over the past month? What are your standout performers or favorites that have amazed you? Share them with us in the comments.