M·A·C Heroine Lipstick is now available for order online, and will be apart of the permanent collection starting January at M·A·C counters and freestanding stores. If you have coveted this lipstick, missed its two previous releases, then fear not…it’s back for GOOD!!!! The makeup gawds have heard our cries!!!! To order your Heroine, click here.
M·A·C Heroine Lipstick is back….get yours online NOW, in stores in January.
Yes…you read that correct. ELF Cosmetics is at it again with another of their fabulous promotions. Head on over to elf cosmetics , add $45 worth of products to your cart, and use the code shown below, to save $20 off your purchase, now through September 16, 2013.
If you are a lover of the Elf studio brushes like I am, now is a great time to stock up! ELF Cosmetics are a great budget friendly line and most of the products retail for $3 and below, so $45 worth of products is a LOT of stuff. It’s hauling time ya’ll!!!! Remember, this is also a good time to try a few new items without much of an initial investment, which makes it easier when things don’t work out IMO.
If you’re looking for suggestions on things to pickup, I HIGHLY recommend the following items:
- ELF Studio Small Stippling Brush
- ELF Studio Powder Brush
- ELF Studio Small Tapered Brush(applies cheek contor powder/cremes to perfection)
- ELF Studio Flawless Concealer Brush
- ELF Studio Lip Exfoliator
- ELF Studio HD Blush
- ELF Essential Zip Zapper (a must for when you have a zit that pops up out of NO WHERE)
- ELF Essential Custom Compact (This fits MAC refill shadow pans!!! Great for traveling and on the go)
As with all things, review the fine print for any exclusions. See anything you plan to grab during this promotion? Let me know in the comments below!
As I type this, most of the country is in the middle of a heat wave. Temperatures here in DC have been in the high 90s with a heat index of over 100 degrees! I guess it’s safe to say that summer is in FULL effect even though it was tardy to the party! With summer in full swing, comes increased sun exposure and the need to increase our SPF coverage. Yes, brown girls…I’m talking to you here too! Contrary to popular belief, we too need increased SPF coverage in the blazing hot summer. While we have some natural protection thanks to the melanin in our skin, with the eroded ozone layer we are exposed to UVA and UVB rays at alarming rates so sunscreen is a MUST.
What many people may not be aware of, is that in June of 2011, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) finalized new labeling and other requirements for sunscreen products that took effect in December of 2012. The FDA is taken the following steps to help protect consumers while also standardizing how sunscreens are marketed and labeled. The measures taken by FDA include:
- final regulations that establish standards for testing the effectiveness of sunscreen products and require labeling that accurately reflects test results
- a regulation that would limit the maximum SPF value on sunscreen labeling to “SPF 50+”
Below is a round up of the labeling changes that you should look for on your sunscreen products and what these changes mean.
- Products that pass the broad spectrum test will provide protection against both ultraviolet B radiation (UVB) and ultraviolet A radiation (UVA). Under the new regulations, sunscreen products that protect against all types of sun-induced skin damage will be labeled “Broad Spectrum” and “SPF 15” (or higher) on the front.
- The back of sunscreens labeled as both “Broad Spectrum” and “SPF 15” (or higher) will include a statement that the product not only protects against sunburn, but, if used as directed with other sun protection measures, can reduce the risk of skin cancer and early skin aging. For these broad spectrum products, higher SPF (Sun Protection Factor) values also indicate higher levels of overall protection.
- Sunscreens that are not broad spectrum or that are broad spectrum with SPF values from 2 to 14 will be labeled with a warning that reads: “Skin Cancer/Skin Aging Alert: Spending time in the sun increases your risk of skin cancer and early skin aging. This product has been shown only to help prevent sunburn, not skin cancer or early skin aging.”
- The terms “waterproof”, “sweat-proof” and “sunblock” will no longer appear on packaging.
- Water resistance claims on the front label must tell how much time a user can expect to get the declared SPF level of protection while swimming or sweating, based on standard testing. Two times will be permitted on labels: 40 minutes or 80 minutes.
- Sunscreens cannot claim protection immediately on application (for example, “instant protection”) or protection for more than two hours without reapplication, unless they submit data and get approval from FDA.
- Additionally, the FDA is finalizing requirements that sunscreen products that have SPF values higher than 50 to be labeled as “SPF 50+.” The FDA feels there is not sufficient data demonstrating that products with SPF values higher than 50 provide additional protection compared to products with SPF values of 50.
Its important to note that the FDA only considers products in the form of oils, creams, lotions, gels, butters, pastes, ointments, sticks, and sprays to be over the counter (OTC) sunscreen products and eligible for approval to use these new labeling guidelines. Suncreen products in the form of wipes, towelettes, powders, body washes, and shampoo not eligible cannot be marketed as suncreen products without an approved application. For sunscreen spray products, the FDA is reviewing data to establish effectiveness and to determine whether they present a safety concern if inhaled unintentionally.
The changes that the FDA made only apply to the labeling, not the ingredients or the effectiveness of the products, the SPF content, or any other aspect of the product. If you are a bargain shopper, you might have noticed lots of high end and name brand sunscreen products popping up in closeout stores such as dollar tree, five below, big lots, family dollar and dollar general. From my research, it appears that these products are safe to use, though it is questionable if the SPF looses its effectiveness over time.
So there you have it PJs…everything u need to know about the new FDA sunscreen labeling guidelines. If you would like more information, check out the frequently asked questions page on the FDA website here.
The Platinum PJs have been fans of Soultanicals since they launched about a year or so ago. From the ingredients to the product names, Soultanicals delivers products with a unique flair thanks to owner Ayo- Ogun McCants. Suffice to say, we’re hooked! Can you blame us? With names like luscious creamy detangling Knot Sauce, sheen inducing satiny Loc-n-roll Twist &Fro out butter and lets not even get into the Herseha Love Polishing Fudge! Soultanicals is a soul infused melanin inspired body and hair product line whose mission is to enrich lives through fun and pleasure while promoting a holistic well being.
TLynn unboxed her goodies here and the rest of us have shown our love of the line on the forum.
We are really excited to offer you a chance to try out this line. Not one but TWO winners will have a chance to win a Napp’etizers Hair Sample Pack. Included in each pack are:
- 2oz Knot Sauce Coil Detangler
- 2oz Hydrating Kink Drink
- ½ oz Loc-n-roll Twist & Fro out Butter
- ½ oz Curl Blaze Hair Glaze
- A Soultanicals Hair Product Guide
So what are the requirements you say?
Register at Platinum Product Junkies forum then leave your screen name in the comment section below! We’d love for you to introduce yourself in the “Introduce Yourself” thread and jump right into the conversation.
To earn additional contest entries
- “Follow” the Platinum Product Junkies and Soultanicals on Twitter.
- “Like” the Platinum Product Junkies and Soultanicals on Facebook.
Please note: Giveaway is open to US residents only. Contest winner has 48 hours to respond to email notification (please double check your email in the comment section), with a valid shipping address.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
- Juice Beauty Reflecting lipgloss in Pink- I received this in one of my beauty bags this month and it’s been glued to my side ever since. The moisture and shine from this gloss made it a pleasure to wear. I was also thankful that it didnt leave a residue as some lip products do after being on for a while. The citrus scent was also a plus.
- TheBalm Instain Blush in Toile – This gives a nice flush to my cheeks for my “no makeup, makeup” looks. I’m working on a review right now, so I won’t completely give it away–but longwearing MEANS LONGwearing!! (Nuff said).
- Jesse’s Girl Cosmetics /Julie G Gumdrop nail polish in Crushed Candy-If I could eat my fingers I would because they look like candy! This polish is super cute, super pink and I was loathe to remove it! It’s one that I kept reaching for time and time again.
- Sake fragrance mist, by Fresh- This light, clean and crisp scent garnered tons of compliments! There’s not much else to say about this one other than you need to check it out at Sephora and take a whiff. It’s a keeper!
- Dior Diorshow New Look mascara- We joke at PlatinumPJ about having anemic lashes, and I think mine may be the worst of them all, but this mascara came to my rescue! It plumped, defined and lengthened my lashes. I really like the brush it comes with that makes it easier to get the lashes in my inner corner.
- CoverFX cream foundation in N110 as a concealer : This stuff has stolen my heart!! It’s super creamy, blendable and doesn’t settle into lines or cake. It works with all of my setting powders which is a plus because not all makeup works well together. The coverage of course, is excellent and so close to my skin that even I’m fooled and forget I have it on.
- Herbal Essences Conditioner in Unbreakable Seduction: This is a trusty rinseout and detangling conditioner. It has just enough moisture and protein in it to keep my hair well balanced, and tons of slip to make detangling a breeze
FTC Disclosure: These products were purchased by me and this is not a paid endorsement. The views expressed here are my own.
So, what were your favorites this month? Have you tried any of the products here? Tell us!
So, this is what happens when you decide to comb your hair out after air-drying…
Man… that’s a lotta hair!
SHAZAM huh??! Big hair don’t care wildness. I had NO CLUE that I had all this going on. It certainly surprised (and tickled) me that my mane had grown so much. Shrinkage will brainwash you into believing just about anything.
Clearly, with a halo like this, who would want to control it? I put my Loc Soc on as a headband and proceeded to rock my fro all week long. The last few days I did an afro puff and was happy that for once, my puff was real.
What I did:
- Washed with Bobeam Shealoe shampoo bar
- Detangled and deep conditioned with Herbal Essences Honey I’m Strong Rinse off treatment for 20 mins, then rinsed out
- Set my hair into two big twists, put on my Loc Soc and let air dry.
- Applied Heavenly Jojoba hair oil by Karen’s Body Beautiful onto each dry twist, unraveled, and combed each section out with my Ouidad double detangler.
Tell us, has your hair surprised you recently? If so, how?
L-R: Nefertiti, Mr. Bel Nouvo, and Shawny
Us Platinum PJ’s have been on a giveaway spree lately and we’re not letting up! We have had the pleasure of meeting so many shop owners and tried so many new and exciting products at the WNHS that we simply could not WAIT to share them with you all.
One of those great shop owners we met was Mr. Bel Nouvo. I initially stumbled upon his Etsy shop during one of my many late night
shopping research sessions and on a whim I decided to try a few things. I’ve been in LOVE with him and his products ever since. The first thing that intrigued me was that he is one of the few men immersed in the world of natural hair. Second, his products are not your typical shea butter based products (which is great because my hair isn’t really a fan of shea butter) and lastly, he is one of the most charismatic and funny shop owners I’ve had the pleasure of meeting…and over the course of this natural hair journey I’ve met quite a few.
After chatting with him at the WNHS and sampling the products, Nefertiti and Hillery decided to take the plunge and purchase a few products as well, so look out for reviews from us on the line on the blog and forum soon. In the mean time, we’d like to give you the opportunity to try these products out and tell us what you think of them. We’re giving away the Castor Collection which includes the following:
- Creamy Castor Custard Deep Conditioner w/ Jamaican & Haitian Black Castor OilKey Ingredients: Haitian Black Castor Oil, Jamaican Black Castor Oil, Mango Butter
CoCo Castor Pudding: The perfect synergy of a styling aid and moisturizer!
Key Ingredients: Agave Nectar, Mango Butter, Candelilla Wax, Coconut & Castor Oil
- CoCo Castor Nectar Hydrating Hair Mist: Our lightweight moisture packed mist is the perfect way to refresh styles, detangle washed hair, and soften up dry frizzy hair. Not your typical watered down moisture mist…
Key Ingredients: Coconut Milk, Vegetable Glycerin, Castor Oil, Coconut Oil, Wheat & Silk Protein
So here’s how you can enter to win these products…the more options you do, the more chances you get to win!!!
- Like Platinum PJs and Bel Nouvo on Facebook
- Follow @Platinum PJ and @MrBelNouvo on Instagram
- Leave a comment below letting us know which of the Bel Nouvo products you are most interested to try
a Rafflecopter giveaway
This past weekend Nefertiti, Shawny, and I attended the World Natural Hair Show in Atlanta and had a BLAST. We shopped, reconnected with old PJ’s (and created a few new ones), met lots of vendors and talked shop with many of them about current and new products! We had such a good time, that it has taken SEVERAL days for me to recover and finally get this post up (so please excuse my delay). As expected we each have a bit of a different perspective on how the World Natural Hair Show (WNHS) went overall, but we did agree on several things.
What we loved
- Seeing Lolakinkz and Wynterbaby: Lola has known all of the Platinum PJs since the very beginning and loves to grace us with her hauls and reviews over on the forum. So seeing her is always like seeing that favorite cousin that you love but because of distance you don’t see to often. Since the last WNHS, her family has grown and we were finally able to meet baby Wynter, and she is just the CUTEST darn baby EVER. Don’t believe me, then check out the pics below or on her facebook page.
- Seeing our old Curltalk buddy Rochelle Graham-Campbell (BlackOnyx77 from back in the day) witnessing the growth and progress of her natural hair line, Alikay Naturals. We’re always ecstatic to see ladies who started their natural hair journey progress to the point of entrepreneurship and helping other ladies on their journey. I picked up some products, and can’t wait to try them and let you all know how they perform.
- Meeting the charismatic creators of several new product lines: Bel Nouvo, Obia Naturals and Ankh Holistic Healers. This is the one aspect of attending the WNHS that stood out. Whenever you have to chance to talk face to face with a small business owner, it seals the product shopping circle. You are finally able to put a face with a company name. Each and every owner took time out to greet us and engage in conversations that generally touched us by the warmth and genuineness that they exuded.
- The annual PlatinumPJ dinner which was attended this year by Karen Tappin of Karen’s Body Beautiful! We’ve been hosting this small intimate dinner for the past 2 years for PJ’s to get together, chill/decompress after the hectic day, and just generally “talk shop”. We extended the invitation to attend this year to Karen and she was gracious enough to accept. We cannot go on enough about how humble and sweet she is! It was also wonderful to see all of our friends and supporters. We appreciate YOU! We had a fantastic time!
Room for improvement
A few things occurred on the way to the hair show and once we entered the arena that we’d like to talk about as constructive criticism which we hope can be used to make a great event even better for next year.
- Ticket purchasing/Advance ticket sales: Those of you that were at the WNHS on Saturday morning can attest to the fact that the lines to get in were outrageous!!! I think it’s understandable that the same day ticket purchase line is off the chain and I fully expected that, but the line for people that purchased advanced tickets was TWICE as long!!! I had to buy my ticket, vs. Shawny and Nefertiti who bought theirs months in advance, yet I had my wristband on within minutes while they were still on a line that extended OUTSIDE the GICC! What exactly is the benefit of purchasing your ticket in advance if you STILL have to stand in a super long line and wait to have your name checked off a list? It is 2013, the age of computerization…get it together. We understand WHY this is done, but there HAS to be a better way. Perhaps going through ticketmaster or even using some sort of barcode scan system would help. But standing in line for 2 hours when you’ve already paid is ludicrous. I’m pissed on behalf of everyone that stood in that line!
- Vendor selection: The vendor selection this year compared to last year was interesting. I’m excited that I saw lots of new vendors this year, especially my smaller companies, but we all agreed that overall the vendor selection wasn’t as good as in years past. I really think the price to vend at the WNHS was a deterrent to a lot of companies. We’re almost sure that this also played a role in the deals/specials that each vendor was able to offer to customers. Hopefully next year this will change, and we’ll see a few more of our beloved companies return, along with more incentives to buy. Our hauls were certainly not at the level they were last year–Not even close.
- Counterfeit Product Vendors: OK people, let me be frank here– MAC Cosmetics only has THREE places where you can purchase their items: the website, a MAC store/counter, and The Cosmetics Company Outlet Stores. MAC doesn’t have a distributor program nor do they wholesale to ANYONE. If you are buying MAC from clear plastic bins with a black and white PAPER “MAC” logo above it…it’s not legit. I know some people are like so what but I personally feel like it cheapens the “WNHS” brand and taints the event when counterfeit items are sold (We also saw fake handbags and shoes for sale as well). Also, let’s not forget that selling counterfeit items is ILLEGAL for a reason. We don’t know the ingredients or the manufacturing process associated with these products and women will be smearing this stuff on their skin and could be absorbing all kinds of toxins and chemicals into their bodies. I just have to question WHY the WNHS would keep allowing these people to vend and sell these questionable items to their patrons? Is $900 in booth money that important?
- Transaction troubles: Due to the quality of the wi-fi/cellular reception, there were many cases where vendors had a difficult time processing purchases through credit card. This doesn’t necessarily reflect on the creators of the show, but a large part of execution is making sure that the proper conditions are in place to facilitate vendors and consumers. Having vendors constantly waving their phones and other credit card processing devices in the air hoping for your purchase to go through doesn’t help anyone. It was frustrating and time-consuming on both ends. Perhaps in the future a discussion with the GICC staff regarding those specific needs will help alleviate those issues. Having their representatives on hand to troubleshoot tech issues for vendors wouldn’t hurt either.
Overall, the good as always outweighed the not so good, but it wasn’t as great a show as last year. There is always an understanding that despite this being one of the largest shows in the world, it’s not infallible, but we hope that it will continue to be a work in progress.
Of course, we’ll be there next year– with bells on!! We promise to bring more t-shirts too. They were certainly a hit!
Now for the pics!
The reserved advance ticket holders in line waiting OUTSIDE the GICC
Shawny and Nefertiti waiting on line at the show
Shawny, LolaKinkz, and Wynter!
Nefertiti and Lola!
L-R: Hillery, Nefertiti, LolaKinks w/ Wynter, and Shawny
L-R: Nefertiti, Mr. Bel Nouvo, and Shawny
L-R: Nefertiti, Shawny, Rochelle Graham-Campbell of Alikay Naturals, and Hillery
L-R: Shawny, Karen Tappin of Karen’s Body Beautiful, Nefertiti, and Hillery
L-R: Hillery, Adachi DaDa creator of Ankh Holistic Healers, Shawny, and Nefertiti
Adachi’s awesome locs!
Nefertiti and Tonya Martin at the PlatinumPJ dinner
Shawny hugging the heck outta of Tonya because we LOVE our PJ’s!
L to R: Nefertiti, Dorothy, Hillery, Shawny, and CocoDej! <3
LolaKinkz brought her BFF Stacy with her beautiful hair!
Shawny showing CocoDej and Dorothy extra <3!
The whole gang with Karen!
A candid shot with Karen, bc us PJ’s LOVE to have FUN!!
One of the things us here at PlatinumPJ love is that beauty is one size fits all. No matter what you look like, where you’re from, or where you wanna go, beauty can be at your fingertips. To that end, we want to make your experience here FANTASTIC and among your favorites! Here’s what we’re doing to stay connected with you:
1, Bloglovin: We’ve teamed up with bloglovin to help you get the most out of your user experience with us. Know when we update and find our posts quick and easy. Of course, if you want the full scoop, it takes you straight to our main site. No muss, no fuss.
2. Google+: We love this network because not only do you get to see what we’re doing, we get a peek into your world too! Welcome us into your world– add us to your circle! You never know when you might be featured on any of our social media platforms.
3. Pinterest: This is like a playground for us to show you all the things that we really love. Check out our boards, follow us, and feel free to repin our content! Trust us, we’ll certainly be doing the same with you!
4. Instagram: Who doesn’t love pictures? Find us on instagram posting about all things beauty on the go! Tag us @PlatinumPJ so we can see your beauty finds and looks of the day. We’d LOVE it!
5. Foursquare: Wanna know what it’s like in the day of a PJ? Check us out for tips on places to shop, eat, and everything in between!
Where we are already
6-7: Facebook & Twitter: Thank you all so much for your support thus far and we hope you’re having a fabulous time! Stay tuned for more updates, events and giveaways!
8. BlogTalkRadio: We have lots planned for you, so stay tuned for our upcoming schedule of radio shows with featured special guests. If you have something in mind that you’d like to hear us talk about, shoot us a message!
9. Klout: Check out how we’re doing on Klout and add us to your friends list. If you feel like we’ve helped you in your latest beauty find, give us a little K+ love when you visit.
All of our social widgets are right here:
Follow the red arrow!
General Blog page:
Here we are again!!
So join in the fun, wherever it takes you!
Your social media maven,
March has come “in like a lion and out like a lamb” and it’s now April and spring is officially here…at least that’s what my calendar says even if the weather man doesn’t agree. The temps in March here in DC have been up and down…nice warm balmy 60 degrees one day and a freak snow storm the next. With such weather fluctuations, it can be difficult to find products that work in both weather extremes. Here is a quick look back and round up of some of my favorite products from March.
- C. Booth 4-in-1 Multi-Action Body Lotion: This lotion works equally well in warm and cooler weather by delivering great moisture without leaving you greasy. It also has AHA which helps sloth off dry scaly skin to leave your skin soft and even toned. Check out my more in-depth review of this product here.
- Philosophy “The Present” Clear Makeup: Philosophy calls this clear makeup but it’s really a primer…and a darn good one to boot! Nefertiti and I like to call this “makeup glue” because whatever makeup you apply sticks to it and lasts ALL DAY. It’s great when the weather is cooler because it locks in moisture from your moisturizer, but when the weather warms up; it keeps your makeup in place and prevents the “melt down”. I’ve been using this daily for the past few weeks after taking a break from it to test and try other things and I couldn’t be happier to have it back in rotation!
- Ulta Super Blending Sponge: I never really got the hype over the beauty blender…I always thought it was just an overpriced sponge and surly my makeup brushes provided just as good application or better. While pursuing Ulta one day, I decided to try this “generic” version and now I FINALLY get it! I have been using this sponge daily for a few weeks and my foundation has gone on sooo smooth and flawless. The real selling point for me is that I get coverage without that “heavy” feeling that some foundations can leave. This blends out the tiniest amount of foundation perfectly and my skin looks like skin and not “foundation on top of skin”. LOVE this thing and I’m going to pick up a few more!!!
- Hairveda Almond Glaze: I haven’t been doing much lately with my hair other than twists and puffs. My hair has grown out of its pixie cut and I’m on the fence about cutting it short again, letting it grow, or locing so I’m just letting it be for now until I decide. After washing and conditioning, I apply my leave in de jour and seal in the moisture with this. I LOVE that it’s all natural yet shields my hair from the temperature fluctuations. It leaves my hair soft and shiny without being too greasy (unless you over apply). I can apply it directly to my scalp in areas where it gets tight and dry or I can apply it to the ends to keep them from drying out. My jar is almost out so I’ll be picking up 1-2 more to add to my stash!
- Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Moisturizer SPF 15: If you know me from Curl Talk or any of the natural hair forums, then you know I’m a HUGE fan of Kiehl’s products, especially their facial moisturizers. I have extremely oily acne prone skin and it can be difficult to find a product that adds the perfect amount of moisture without causing a breakout. I have found that Kiehl’s products perform exceptionally well for my skin in this regard. As the days have started getting longer, I wanted to add in a lighter SPF to my routine (I use SPF 50 in the summertime). This product provided enough moisture on those bitter cold days, without being too heavy for the nice balmy days we’ve had in March. An added bonus is that the SPF doesn’t leave that dreaded white ashy cast to my dark skin. I’m not sure if I could use this in the summer as it might be TOO heavy once the humidity sets in, but for late winter/early spring usage I have found this to be a winner.
What products have you incorporated into your routine over the past month? What are your standout performers or favorites that have amazed you? Share them with us in the comments.